Fashion Focus: all about Ann Demeulemeester
Name of the brand: Ann Demeulemeester
Name(s ) of the designer(s): Ann Demeulemeester
About the designer(s): Ann Demeulemeester (1959) was born in Belgium. She studied at the Royal academy of fine arts in Antwerp and graduated in 1981. She is now a world-renowned fashion designer. She is married to fashion photographer Patrick Robyn.
Start of the brand: 1984
First collection: 1985
Breakthrough: 1986; Ann Demeulemeester then shows her collection in London. She quickly become famous outside of Belgium. Ann is seen as one of the ‘Antwerpse zes’, a group of influential fashion designers who graduated at the Royal Academy of Antwerp in the eighties (including Dries van Noten en Walter van Beirendonck).
The Ann Demeulemeester woman: is not a specific type of woman. Ann said: ‘People can mix and match and adjust the clothes to fit into their lives. I don’t know exactly who will end up wearing my clothes. It’s like creating a present for an anonymous person.’ Ann does say the women she designs for have a strong personality.
Ann Demeulemeester women: Sarah Jessica Parker, Nicole Kidman, Nicole Richie
The clothes are: never ‘trendy’, their focus is on shape and structure. Ann designs with her feelings and uses lots of black in her clothes.
Type of clothes: outspoken, original, comfortable.
Signature: black designs in outstanding shapes
Collaborations: with Rodney Graham (1992), Patti Smith (1999), Steven Klein (2004)
Awards: Golden Spindle (1982), Culture Award (1996)
- ‘The idea that garments are alive is a big inspiration. I want to fill them with soul.’
- ‘I don’t travel’
- ‘I never planned ahead. I just go from one season to the next. If I ever feel like I’ve told my story in this medium, it’ll be time to move on to another.’
- Ann has been designing jewellery and furniture as well. She even won some prices with that.
- In the beginning Mugler, Montana, and Versace were Ann’s inspiration
- Since 1996 Ann also designs men’s clothes.
- Ann and her husband Patrick have been together since Ann was seventeen.
- Regardless of the financial crise Ann Demeulemeester has sold more than ever.
- Especially Ann’s laced up boots were a bit hit.