Topmodel of the week: Chanel Iman
This week we focus on topmodel Chanel Iman. She always wanted to become a model. And with a name like that she did seem destined to work in the world of fashion…
Name: Chanel Iman Robinson (yes, this is her real name!)
Date of Birth: November 30, 1989
Place of Birth: Atlanta, Georgia
City: she currently lives in New York
Discovered: when she was thirteen years old she was already accepted at a modelling agency.
Breakthrough: 2006, after ending third in the Ford Super Model of the World Contest
Runway debut: 2006 (fall/winter) for: Anna Sui, Derek Lam, Marc Jacobs, Proenza Schouler
Fashion shows: Aquascutum, Christian Dior, Jean Paul Gaultier, Valentino, Bottega Veneta, House of Holland, Nathan Jenden, Dolce & Gabbana, Hermès, Yves Saint Laurent, Alexis Mabille, Christian Lacroix, Diane von Furstenberg, Valentino couture, Christian Dior coutue, Givenchy couture.
Covers: Korean Vogue, Teen Vogue, V Magazine, Time, i-D and the premier cover of Harper’s Bazaar Dubai
- In 2007 Vogue named her as one of the next topmodels
Ad campaigns: Gap, Benetton, Ralph Lauren, DKNY and Victoria’s Secret
TV: she appeared on America’s Next Top Model as a guest judge
Agencies: Supreme Management
- ‘If I sound like my own drill sergeant it’s because modeling sometimes is like boot camp.’
- ‘In a couple of years, I’ll be the most glamorous woman, hopefully.’
- ‘But I’m still a regular girl. I go to basketball and football games. I want to go to prom.’
- ‘I used to dress up as a model for Halloween, like every year.’
- ‘All I can do is being myself. And either you like it or you don’t..’
- ‘Most models wear all black all the time. I’m kinda tired of all the black’
- She is Phillip Lim’s muse
- Her mother is with her during the shoots and shows, because she does’t want Chanel Iman to experience ‘the dark side of fashion’.
- She loves eating icecream when she is in Milaan
- She appeared in in two editorials for the all-black issue of Italian Vogue
- She has a boyfriend; rapper Tyga.
- She walked in the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show in 2009
- She was the DJ for the Sonia Rykiel for H&M party this year (2010)
- Chanel Iman has her own website.
- Follow Chanel Iman on twitter: @ itsmechaneliman